When you have offline files enabled but want to move the cache location to a 2nd hard disk with more space (or just a faster one), here’s how you do it:
Note: I would advise to create a restore point prior to doing the following.
- Create a folder for your offline file cache. Something like D:\Offline.
- From an elevated command prompt type the following: Takeown /r /f C:\Windows\CSC
- Open the Sync Center and go to Manage Offline Files.
- Click Disable Offline Files and restart the machine.
- From an elevated command prompt issue the following commands:
rd /s C:\Windows\CSC
mklink /J C:\Windows\CSC “D:\Offline” (or whatever you folder name is, but be sure to use the quotations if you have a space in the name)
- Reopen the Manage Offline Files window and Enable Offline Files.
- Restart the machine
All files/folders that are made available offline should now be redirected to whichever folder you specified.